Please I need your help on this. There is this lady I like so much. I’ve been told before that she likes me but, she hasn’t told me that herself. I’m thinking of telling her I like her, but I don’t know how I should approach it. How should I tell her? I think since I’ve been told that she likes me I could do this boldly, but I’m nervous! So my question is what is your best method? How should I tell her how I feel without making her scared?”
RESPONSE: There is really no beating around the bush about it. When you have feelings for someone, you’ve got to let it out. In fact you can’t even contain it. Bottling the feeling is actually what makes you sleepless at night. Fine, it’s okay to feel jittery sometimes, but trust me, the worst you can get is a NO. But then, you’d feel a lot better getting the NO as soon as possible rather than postponing it and suffering more in silence.
From experience, it’s always easier to tell someone you’ve already established some form of interactions with how you feel about him/her, than tell a total stranger or an acquaintance the same thing. So try getting close to this person first by doing what he/she likes or joining the same group as the person.
There are basically 5 things you need to know when trying to tell someone you like him/her:
1. Be confident (if you’re nervous the words won’t come out right)
2. Be clear and firm (that way that person will know you’re being sincere)
3. Be prepared to tell that person WHY you’re in love with them. (What’s the point of being in love if there’s no reason?)
4. Be sure to not put too much pressure on this person, especially if you’re not in a relationship with them. (That could cause major awkwardness)
5. If this person doesn’t have the reaction you wanted, don’t show sadness. Just walk away with your head held high. They’re probably just not ready. And you could try again.
What’s on your mind? Our mentors can help. Send us questions at email@example.com.