The Netherlands is a small country sandwiched between Belgium and Germany in Western Europe. The North Sea, located to the north and west of the Netherlands, is continually battering the land.
Fast Facts about Netherlands
1. The Netherlands is also referred to as Holland, although Netherlands and Holland are not synonymous. Holland is largely the western coastal region of the Netherlands, comprising of Amsterdam, Rotterdam, Haarlem, Leiden and the Hague.
2. The capital and largest city in the Netherlands is Amsterdam.
Related Article: Interesting Country Facts (Japan)
3. The population of the Netherlands in 2013 was estimated to be around 17 million.
4. The ‘Netherlands’ mean “Low Country” in Dutch. About half of its surface area is less than 1 metre above sea level. Its highest point is 321 metres (1,053 ft) above sea level.
5. The main language in the Netherlands is Dutch. 86% of Dutchies speak English as a second language
6. Duthttps://passnownow.com/wp-admin/post-new.phpch people enjoy a range of sports including football (soccer), swimming, volleyball, golf, tennis and hockey.
7. Dutch people are the tallest in the world, with an average height of 184 cm for men and 170 cm for women, Dutchies are the tallest people in the world. Scientists say it’s because of their DNA, nutrition and welfare, others say it’s because of their copious consumption of dairy.
Also read: Interesting Country Facts (South Africa)
8. The Netherlands was one of the European Union’s founding nations
9. When Dutch schoolchildren pass their exams, they hang a Dutch flag and a school bag outside their homes!
10. The flag of the Netherlands is a horizontal tricolour of red, white, and blue. Variants of the flag have been in use since 1572, and in 1937 the flag was officially formalized as the national flag of the Kingdom of the Netherlands. It is the oldest tricolor flag still in national use.