There are lot of benefits that one can get from participating in a study group. It is said that no one is an island of knowledge just as a similar saying has it that iron sharpens iron. When you think that you know it all, there’s always someone else with a better understanding. Below are some of the benefits you can get by studying as a group:
- Increases your Performance: Although there are people that can perform well without the assistance of any study group but yet, two heads are better than one. So what does that implies? It means that if you are getting say B in your studies, you can up your grade to A and even if you are getting an A, there’s still a room to get A+.
- Cover Larger Areas: Just take a cue from a broom, there’s little you can do with a strand of broom compared to when you have a bunch of broom. In this same vein, there’s a little you can cover up in your studies compared to when you have a group where each person contributes their knowledge.
- Hone your Skills: There’s something about being in a study group, you tend to improve on your own self when you participate. You would agree that there’s a better chance for you to remember what you discussed with someone than when you keep it to yourself.
- Eliminates Procrastination: There are some times when you don’t feel like studying especially when the exams are still far away. The best way to overcome such unwilling spirit is to have a group that you will always stay accountable to by attending every scheduled session.
- Catch Up on Missed Classes: There might be times when you missed a class due to one reason or the other. Even when you get the notes, there would still be some key points that was mentioned during the lecture which you won’t be able to know and as well, you might not understand some of the things written in the note unless you have someone to you.
One key thing to lookout for when you want to join a study group is the set of individuals that make up the group. Ensure that you share common interest and everyone participate in every session. As you do this, you are sure on your way to better performance.