You probably drank some today or maybe over the weekend. It’s sticky body and sour taste doesn’t bother you as you savour the milky juice finding its way out after gentle press. Even more enticing is its reddish inner part. You meticulously remove every flesh on the seed till you see the reddish-brown colour of the seed.
It is known by various names but the famous is Agbalumo among the Yoruba people and Udara among the Igbos. It is known among the English man as African Star Apple and its scientific name is Chrysophyllum africanum or Chrysophyllum albidum.
When I was a child, we used the seeds (we called it paki) for very interesting games and the girls used it for beautification and adorned themselves with the inner whitish halves of the seed.
Let us now discuss the health and nutritional facts about the African star apple.
- African star apple contains more Vitamin C/ascorbic acid than Orange. This vitamin helps prevent scurvy, a mouth gum disease.
- If you have sour throat, constipation or toothache, why not try taking Udara.
- A research by scientist in Covenant University reveals that Agbalumo could lower blood sugar and cholesterol, and could be useful in preventing and treating heart diseases.
- The different plant parts like the roots, barks and leaves are used for healing cough, yellow fever, high blood pressure and much more.
- In some parts of Nigeria, the seed is used to treat skin infections.
- It is believed that consuming the fruit can help fight cancer and diabetes.
- It could serve as a natural source of Anti-Oxidant booster to remove free radicals from oxidative stress disorders.
- Agbalumo helps you lose weight. The fruit contributes 3g of fiber to the recommended daily intake of 25 to 38g. Fiber provides bulk to your diet, a factor that can make your stomach feel fuller for longer. This can keep you from eating too much, and it may help you lose weight.
- Present in Udara are phytochemicals such as Tannins, flavonoids, terpenoids, proteins, carbohydrates and resins.
How is this special fruit which appeals to the taste of almost every Nigerian, beneficial to you? Tell us in a comment. As for me, it is a natural cleanser.