Civic Education, JSS 3, Week 6
Topic: Self Employment
- Meaning of Self employment
- The need for self employment
- Self employment project
Meaning of Self Employment
It is a means of being your own boss; self employment can be defined as a situation in which an individual works for himself or herself instead of working for an employer that pays a salary or a wage. People must use their inner minds, must be creative, using their brains and hands in doing something worthwhile. Self–employment is the act of generating one’s income directly from customers through working, clients or other organizations as opposed to being an employee of a business (or person).
The need for Self employment
- It will reduce unemployment
- A self employed person becomes an employer of labor;thereby providing employment for people
- A self employed person manages his/her income; he/ she decides what either to save or invest the money
- He/ she can be a lender to salaries earners when their salary is delayed by their employers.
- A self employed can help in training other people.
Self Employment Project
- Tailoring: This involves the design and production of fashionable clothes.
- Hair-styling: This requires a very low capital to start up. A stylist is a person who makes people hair adorable and beautiful in the salon.
- Painting: This is a very profitable and easy work to learn for those who are interested. Painters engage in applying colors to houses.
- Beading: Beads are commonly used as ornaments, especially among women to adorn their body and add beauty to their looks.It also requires little capital to start up.
- Photography: This is a skill that can be acquired from a professional photographers. Others are:
- Facial Make-up etc.
Advantages of Self Employment
- The freedom to fit work around your family life
- Being your own boss
- Escaping the cost and pressure of commuting
- The freedom to work on different projects for different companies and the excitement of taking on new projects
Disadvantages of Self Employment
- The costs of running your own office: rent, insurance, computer and internet costs
- Losing earnings if you take holidays
- No employer security
- Lack of regular secured income and the hassle of sorting your own finances.
- Never having the chance to switch off from your work life.
For more notes; see: https://passnownow.com/classwork-support/