Environmental Problems and Their Solutions
Man made environmental problems are caused by man, knowingly or unknowingly, as man goes about his daily activities. The problems arises as a result of the following problems which are:
- Air pollution: This is refers to as the contamination of the air such that it becomes dangerous to the health when it is breathed in.
- Water pollution: This refers to the contamination of water such as the seas, streams, lakes; this happens when pollutants are dropped into the water by man, this makes the water useless.
- Erosion: Erosion is the washing away of the top soil by flowing water, erosion creates deep gullies on the land and it is usually caused by man.
- Deforestation: This is the means by which man clears or destroys existing vegetation in a forest living the ground bare to be exposed to weather conditions.
- Flooding: Flooding occurs when water bodies extend beyond their banks and settle on dry land meant for humans, this happens when there is consistent rainfall or sometimes as a result of water pollution by man.
- Cyclone: This is a very strong wind that moves very fast in a cycle.
- Earthquake: This is the massive vibration in the earth’s surface that results to damages of building and other infrastructures. It is a natural environmental problem.
- Tornado: This is the swirling of dust particles by wind in a very violent manner. It brings about loss of lives and properties. It is also a natural environmental problem.
- Hurricane: This is a storm that has very strong fast winds. This storm moves over a large area and can cause great damage to lives and properties. It is a natural environmental problem
- Drought: This problem occurs when there is when there is no rainfall for a long period of time. Deforestation which is often caused by man can also lead to drought.
Solutions to Environmental Problems
- Industrial activities in urban areas should be regulated
- Trees should be planted to replace felled ones so as to reduce deforestation, erosion etc.
- Forest reserves should be created in areas of wide expanse of land.
- There should be proper disposal of household or industrial waste
- Gutters should be constructed on major roads to reduce erosion or flood.
- Industrial noise should be reduced through the use of industrial noise control.
Test and Exercise
- All of these are types of natural environmental problems except (a) hurricane (b) earthquake (c) air pollution (d) Tornado.
- The type of environmental problem that comes in form of a strong wind that moves very fast is (a) earthquake (b) cyclone (c) air pollution (d) drought
- All of these problems are caused by man except (a) air pollution (b) water pollution (c) deforestation (d) earthquake.
- All of these are solutions to environmental problem except (a) creation of forest reserve (b) neglecting the problems (c) proper disposal of waste (d) industrial noise should be reduced.
- The washing away of the top soils by flowing water is (a) erosion (b) drought (c) flood (d) deforestation.
For more notes; see: https://passnownow.com/classwork-support/