Meaning of Harmful Substance
Harmful biological substance” means a bacteria, virus or other microorganism or a toxic substance derived from or produced by an organism that can be used to cause death, injury or disease in humans, animals or plants.
Harmful substance are elements that are dangerous to human health. They are water, fruits, food and drugs that are unfit for human consumption.
Examples of harmful substances are:
- Stale food; this is food that is spoil, food that has stayed old is not fit for the body because it is very harmful to the body.
- Expired food and drugs; expired food and drinks that has stayed beyond the appropriate time
- Impure water; impure water is dirty water that is not fit for the body system
- Unripe fruits; fruits that is not yet due for eating
- Infested food
- Poorly cooked food
Results of taking in harmful substance
- It can lead to death
- It leads to ill health
- It causes body weakness
- It affects the growth of a child
Ways of preventing intake of harmful substance
- Use fewer products: We know that the more products you use, the more chemicals you are potentially exposed to. For example, a person using a typical array of everyday products–surface cleaner, tub-and-tile cleaner, laundry detergent, bar soap, shampoo and conditioner, facial cleanser and lotion, and toothpaste–is potentially exposed to 19 of the harmful chemicals we studied. So, keep it simple and use less.
- Use simple cleaners: Plain water mixed with baking soda or vinegar or Castile soap can be used for many cleaning tasks throughout the home. There are a variety of recipes for do it yourself cleaners available. Again, keep it simple, and clean like your grandmother
- Be safe in the sun: Sunscreens contain many problems chemicals. Avoiding the sun during peak hours, wearing wide-brimmed hats, and wearing tightly woven fabric cover-ups and sunglasses can block UV rays without any added chemicals, giving you an excuse to round out your summer wardrobe.
- Ensure your food is well cooked before eating
- Expired food and drinks should be disposed off immediately before you become tempted to eat it
Test and Exercise
- Elements that are dangerous to human health is called (a) harmful substance (b) useful substance (c) important substance (d) additional substance
- One of the ways of preventing harmful substance is (a) engaging in drug abuse (b) use of fewer products (c) eating stale food (d) drinking impure water
- Harmful substance can lead to the following except (a) death (b) good health (c) illness (d) disease
- Examples of harmful substances are (a) stale food (b) expired food (c) well cooked food (d) infested food
- Living a harmful substance life is possible. True/ False
Latest posts by Busola Ojumu (see all)
- Students! How You Can Enjoy Your Next Holiday - December 23, 2016
- The Holidays Are Here, Check Out Some Ways You Can Have FUN!!!! - December 23, 2016
- How to keep up with your English during the Holidays - December 22, 2016