Topic: THE IMPACT OF FAMILY VALUES ON LIFESTYLE
What is Value?
Importance of Values or Value System
Factors that Influences Values
A. WHAT IS VALUE?
Value is the worth placed on item, Values are beliefs, feelings or ideas of what is important, desirable and good.
Lifestyle is the particular way of life of a person, family or a nation.
TYPES OF VALUES
- INTRINSIC VALUES: These are values that are important for their own sake. Examples are, love, freedom, truth e.t.c.
- INSTRUMENTAL VALUES: These are values that help you to achieve the intrinsic or high values. Examples are orderliness and efficiency.
- Values that are intrinsic and instrumental: These can impact and also can you in achieving higher values. Examples are comfort, health, religion, honesty e.t.c.
TYPES OF LIFESTYLE
- Roles and Roles combination: The different ways are based on the roles performed by each person e.g employers, employees, parents e.t.c
- Consumer Practices: Some people may be conspicuous consumers, others maybe moderate e.g types of food, clothing e.t.c. which people choose
- Occupation and Employment patterns: Pattern will normally influence how a person does a thing i.e. the life styles e.g bankers, doctor, teachers.
B. IMPORTANCE OF VALUES OR VALUE SYSTEM
I. TO THE INDIVIDUAL
- A value system helps you to make decisions
- Values provide motivation
- Values control behavior
- Dear values provide confidence and strength
- Values bring consistency to your outlook and actions
- Values determines the type and levels or goals you set for yourself
II. TO THE FAMILY
- Determines the quality of life and lifestyle of the family
- Determines the types of goals the family sets
- Influences family decisions
- Determines how families use their resources
- Helps family to decide the nature and effect of outside family
III. TO THE SOCIETY
- It helps the society to make decisions about resources allocation
- It helps the society to develop various areas of importance or economy e.g health, education e.t.c
- It helps the society to provide for every member of the society
- It helps the society to plan and provide good programs for the citizens
- It helps the society to solve problems in country
- It helps society to prevent evil practices in the country
C. FACTORS THAT INFLUENCES VALUES
- Friends you keep
- Older persons who serve as examples
- Movies, television, books, internet
- Religious belief/ trainings
- Culture of the society
For more notes, visit: https://passnownow.com/classwork-support/