JSS 3 Social Studies First Term Week 1
- Meaning of dating
- Reason young people date
- Appropriate behavior when dating
Meaning of Dating
Dating has several meanings:
Dating is a part of human meeting process whereby two people meet socially for companionship beyond the level of friendship.
Dating is a trial period in which two people explore whether to take the relationship further towards a more permanent relationship like marriage.
While the term dating has many meanings, the most common refers to a trial period in which two people explore whether to take the relationship further towards a more permanent relationship; in this sense, dating refers to the time when people are physically together in public as opposed to the earlier time period in which people are arranging the date, perhaps by corresponding by email or text or phone.
Another meaning of the term dating is to describe a stage in a person’s life when he or she is actively pursuing romantic relationships with different people. If two unmarried celebrities are seen in public together, they are often described as “dating” which means they were seen in public together, and it is not clear whether they are merely friends, exploring a more intimate relationship, or are romantically involved. A related sense of the term is when two people have been out in public only a few times but have not yet committed to a relationship; in this sense, dating describes an initial trial period and can be contrasted with “being in a committed relationship”.
It is also the act of meeting and engaging in some mutually agreed upon social activity in public together as couple.
Dating is a form of romantic courtship typically between two individuals with the aim of assessing the other’s suitability as a partner in an intimate relationship or as a spouse. The result of dating may at any time lead to friendship, any level of intimate relationship, marriage, or no relation.
Dating is a stage of romantic and/or sexual relationships in humans whereby two or more people meet socially, possibly as friends or with the aim of each assessing the other’s suitability as a partner in a more committed intimate relationship or marriage.
It can also be a form of courtship consisting of social activities done by the couple. The protocols and practices of dating, and the terms used to describe it, vary considerably from country to country and over time. While the term has several meanings, the most frequent usage refers to two or more people exploring whether they are romantically and/or sexually compatible by participating in dates with the other.
This term may also refer to two or more people who have already decided they share romantic and/or sexual feelings toward each other. These people will have dates on a regular basis. This period of courtship is sometimes seen as a precursor to engagement or marriage. Some religions require people to wait until a certain age to begin dating, which has been a source of controversy.
Reasons Young People Date
Young people in this context mean people below the age of 18. Some of the reasons why they date are:
- To have fun: young people date for the fun of it, because others are doing it, they just want to feel cool with themselves because of that they engage in dating
- To feel among: Young people date because they want to belong to the groups of those who are dating
- Ignorance: Another reason is because of ignorance, they don’t actually have the understanding of what it means to date so they engage into it.
- For socialization process – In other words, dating establishes social confidence, helps people learn social skills like manners, consideration for others, cooperation, and conversation.
- Peer pressure.
- For companionship through interaction and shared activities with the opposite sex
- Because of hormones.
- Dating involves learning about intimacy and it also serves as an opportunity to establish a unique, meaningful relationship with a person of the opposite sex.
- At this age they get attracted to opposite sex.
Appropriate Behaviors When Dating
Dating takes maturity, before a person can engage in dating he/ she must be matured physically, emotionally and almost ready for marriage.
Some of these are the appropriate behaviors when dating.
- Be consistent
- Be modest in your dressing
- Do not engage in gossip
- Avoid pride
- Learn positive things from each other
- Do not be too inquisitive
- Listen to one another
- Be positive
- Do not seek to defeat others in an argument
- Avoid sexual intercourse
Test and Exercise
- A trial period where in which two people two people explore whether to take relationship further towards marriage is (a) mating (b) dating (c) wedding (d) friendship.
- All of these are some of the reasons why young people date except (a) peer pressure (b)to have fun (c) ignorance (d) for marriage.
- A person can involve in dating when (a) he/ she is a kid (b) when he/ she is young (c) when he/ she is almost ready for marriage (d) none of the above.
- Some of these are the appropriate behaviors in dating except (a) consistency (b) pride (c) be positive (d) avoid sexual intercourse.
- To start dating a person must be emotionally, financially and physically matured. True/false. https://passnownow.com/classwork-support/