Computer Science JSS2
Topic: ICT AS A TRANSFORMATIONAL TOOL
INFORMATION COMMUNICATION TECHNOLOGY (ICT)
ICT – ICTs stand for Information and Communication Technologies and are defined, for the purposes, as a “diverse set of technological tools and resources used to communicate, and to create, disseminate, store, and manage information.” These technologies include computers, the Internet, broad casting technologies (radio and television), and telephony.
AS A TRANSFORMATIONAL TOOL: Information communication technology is so important in the world today that it makes it necessary for every person to be competent in the use Information communication technology for the task they have to accomplish. Organization of all sizes, even the smallest schools and businesses, rely on computer to help them operate more efficiently and effectively.
ADVANTAGES OF INFORMATION COMMUNICATION TECHNOLOGY
These are some the advantages of information communication technology
- COMMUNICATION: Communication has become cheaper, quicker and more efficient. We can now communicate with anyone around the globe by the simply text messaging them or sending them an e-mail for an almost instantaneous part of the world with the help of video conferencing.
- COST EFFECTIVENESS: Information communication technology helps to computerize the business process. Thus streaming business to make them extremely cost effective, money making machine. This in turn, will increase productivity, which will also increase profit and that means better pay and less strenuous working condition.
- BRIDGING THE CULTURAL GAP: Information communication technology has helped to bridge the cultural gap helping people from different cultures to communicate with one another and allowing for the exchange of views and ideas, thus increasing awareness and reducing prejudice.
- MORE TIME: Information communication technology has made it possible for business to be open 24×7, all over the globe. This means that a business can be open anytime, anywhere, making purchase from different countries easier and more convenient. It also means that you can have goods delivered right to your door step without having to move an inch.
- CREATION OF NEW JOBS: The best advantage of information communication technology is the creation of new and interesting job. Computer programmers, system analyzers, hardware and software developed and web designers are just some of the new job opportunity created with the help of it.
- VERSATILITY: Computer can perform vast activities effectively. Where the human imagination fails, computer comes into the picture, for instance, observing the motion of very fast moving particles. They can also work with different types of data and information like graphics and audio visual character.
DISADVANTAGES OF INFORMATION COMMUNICATION TECHNOLOGY
- UNEMPLOYMENT: While information communication technology may have streamlined the business process, it still has created job redundancies, downsizing and outsourcing. This means that a lot of lower and middle level jobs have been done away with, causing more people to become unemployed.
- PRIVACY: Though information communication technology may have made communication so easy, quicker and more convenient, it has also given rise to privacy issues, from cell phone signal interceptions to e-mail hacking, people are now worried about their private information becoming public knowledge.
- LACK OF JOB SECURITY: Industry experts believe that the internet has made job security a big issue since technology keeps advancing each day. This means that one has to be in a constant learning mode, in order for job to be secure.
GENERAL BENEFITS OF ICT
- Greater efficiency throughout the school.
- Communication channels are increased through email, discussion groups and chat rooms
- Regular use of ICT across different curriculum subjects can have a beneficial motivational influence on students’ learning.
For more class notes, visit: https://passnownow.com/classwork-support/