Any book that helps a child to form a habit of reading, to make reading one of his deep and continuing needs, is good for him.
The more you read, the more knowledgeable you are. This is a fact, not an opinion. There are a lot of advantages of being a reader as opposed to not being one, reading sharpens your skills, it opens a gateway beyond your imaginations.
How do you pass an exam? By reading.
How do you know more about a topic? By reading.
Need more information, what do you do? You read.
Reading can be a habit and at the same time it can be enjoyable. This article provides tips on how to read books on a consistent basis.
Here are some tips to help you cultivate a better and consistent reading habit:
- Always be with a book: With the availability of ebooks now, you realise you can always be with a book. There are even websites that offer you the means to read online. If you only read hardcovers, just make sure you have a in your bag.
- Make a list of books: At the beginning of the week or month, make a list of books you want to read and stick to it. Reward yourself when you’re done just to keep motivating yourself.
- Read Everywhere: Read in traffic, read on a queue, read during break, read in the morning, read at night, read during the weekends. Wherever you find yourself, just read.
- Read at least 10-20 pages a day: Consistency is the most important thing, if you read 10 pages per day, at the end of a week you will have read 70 pages and that is a good way to start. You can start from 10 and increase it gradually but make sure that no matter how busy you are, you find a way to read 10 pages a day.
- Read books that interest you: It is easier to perform a task if you enjoy doing it, same thing goes for reading too. Read the type of book that you won’t want to drop, be it fiction, biographies or educational books. As long as you are broadening your horizon, you are doing great.
- Have a reading partner or join a read club: The advantage of this is that it makes you accountable to someone else. Reading a book and having someone or a group of people to discuss it with after helps in understanding the book and getting different perspectives.
There are many little ways to enlarge your child’s world. Love of books is the best of all.
–Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis