Brazil, a vast South American country, stretches from the Amazon Basin in the north to vineyards and massive Iguaçu Falls in the south.
1. Brazil is the largest country in South America.
2. The name Brazil comes from a tree named brazilwood.
3. The population in 2012 was around 194 million people.
4. The country’s motto is “Ordem e Progresso”, meaning “order and progress”.
5. Brasilia, with 2.8 million inhabitants is the country’s fourth largest city. The largest city in Brazil is Sao Paolo with 11 million inhabitants.
6. Brazil has about 3000 airports – more than any other country other than the US.
Related Post: Interesting Country Facts – India
7. Brazil is one of the 77 founding members of the United Nations.
8. The official language of Brazil is Portuguese; however, there are more than 180 native languages spoken in the country. Brazil is the only country in South America whose dominant language and culture comes from Portugal.
9. Elected on October 30, 2010, Dilma Rousseff is Brazil’s current president and the first woman to hold this office.
Related Post: Interesting Country Facts (China)
10. Football (soccer) is the most popular sport in Brazil with the national team consistently among the best in the world, winning the World Cup a record 5 times.