Forms of Democracy
- Direct democracy: This is an individual freedom; this is where people participate in the governing of the state at intervals. People have liberation without any representation.
- Representative democracy: This is also known as indirect democracy; in this form of democracy, some people are elected to represent the masses. Whatever they say would be accepted as the voice of the people.
- Constitutional democracy: This form of democracy is based on the laid down principles, the principle serve as the yardstick for the system of government.
Examples of Democratic System
- City states of Ancient Greece where democracy was first practiced
- Igbo village democracy where each family has a representative; there is no formal system but each unit head serves as representative. they operate decentralized system of Government
- Modern democratic Systems as it is operating now in nations of the world
Characteristics of Democracy
- There is free and fair election
- The law is supreme
- The fundamental human right is respected
- There must be majority rule and minority rights
- There must be independence of judiciary
- There must be periodic election
- There must be equality before the law
How democracy works
- Citizens should be allowed to participate in the government of the country
- The government allows different political parties to participate
- People are allowed to elect their leaders through a free and fair election.
- The principles guiding democracy should be followed.
Read more below-