The basic process of sewing involves fastening of fabrics, leather, furs or similar other flexible materials with the help of needle and threads. Sewing is mainly used to manufacture clothing and home furnishings. In fact, sewing is one of the important processes in apparel making. Most of such industrial sewing is done by industrial sewing machines. The cut pieces of a garment are generally tacked, or temporarily stitched at the initial stage. The complex parts of the machine then pierces thread through the layers of the cloth and interlocks the thread. Stitching is the process of passing threaded needle in and out of a material to make a specific design pattern.
IMPORTANCE OF SEWING PROCESSES
Stitches are used to
- Join two or more pieces of materials together
- Mend clothes
- Make embroidery or decorative designs or clothes and article.
TYPES OF STITCHES
- Temporary stitches: These hold pieces of fabric together temporarily i.e within a short period of times. They are removed as soon as they have served their purpose i.e even temporary stitches and tailor’s stitches
- Permanent stitches– These are used in joining two or more pieces of materials together permanently. A machine tread must be used in joining the clothing together i.e running stitches, back stitches, hemming stitches, sewing stitches. etc
- Decorative\Simple Embroidery stitches– These are used for decorating garment. They are used on well made garment. The decoration should be suitable for the material as well as the wearer. Samples of decorative stitches are stem stitches, chain stitches, French knot, herring bone stitches etc.
A seam is the line of stitching that joins two or more pieces of cloth together. There are different types of seams. It is important to choose the correct seam for any given article or part of garment…
Read more below-