JSS 2 Social Studies First term Week 1
Topic: Social Change
- Meaning of Social Change
- Factors of Change
- Agent of Social Change
Social change: It is a change in rules of behavior, social organizations, or value systems. Social change refers to any significant alteration over time in behavior patterns and cultural values and norms. Social change refers to an alteration in the social order of a society. Social change may include changes in nature, social institutions, social behaviours, or social relations.
A Social change refers to an alteration in the social order of a society change may in include changes in nature, social institutions, social behavior. Social change occurs due to the following factors
Factors of Social Change
There are various factors of social change that lead to changes in social order, such as the physical environment, population changes, isolation and contact, social structure, attitudes and values, and technological factors. Other causes of global social change include economic changes, modernization, urbanization, bureaucratization, political power, conflict and competition, ideology, diffusion, acculturation and evolution.
- Culture: There are three major ways that culture produces social change.
Invention: produces new ideas, objects, and social patterns. The invention of the personal computer is a good example.
Discovery: is when people take note of existing elements of the world and create new social patterns. While the personal computer was an invention, consider all of the different ways we have discovered to use it. Where would we be without the internet? Finally,
Diffusion: occurs as these products, ideas and social patterns spread from on society to another. How boring would our food choices be without diffusion?
- Physical environment: Physical environment means the natural and the man made features of an area, they include the rivers, the lakes, the grasses, the climate, the weather etc. all of these determine the changes that occur in our society.
- Population changes: Population is the total number of people living in a place at a particular point in time. The people living in a place determine the changes that will occur in their society.
- Technological factor: Technology is the availability of infrastructures, access to good roads, good communication system etc. All of this brings about positive changes to the society.
- Attitude and Values: Our attitude and values also affect our society due to the things we put in high esteem, the way we relate and behave affects the changes that will occur in our society
Agents of Social Change are
- The family
- Political Leaders
The parents and other family members can help to inbuilt good morals and values into the children, teaching them good characters and helping them to develop their skills, this will bring about positive change in the society.
The Political Leaders
The political leaders is another agent of social change; leaders who perform their roles and duties in providing all the basic necessities will bring about change in the society, leaders who show good example by not embezzling the public funds will be of great help in the society
In many societies teachers are looked upon as the individuals who can help to bring about positive changes in the lives of people. They are seen as natural leaders who can give advice on various affairs of the communities. Within the context of their direct interaction with children, parents and communities, teachers and educators could play several major roles in bringing about a social change
The religious leaders are to train people in the way of God and encourage people to fear and acknowledge God, this knowledge will help people to behave positively towards their society, and they also give advice and counsel to people.
Test and Exercise
- Culture as a factor of social change can occur in all of these except (a) invention (b) discovery (c) infusion (d) confusion.
- All of these are agents of social change except (a) political leaders (b) family (c) physical environment (d) teachers.
- A change in rule of behavior, social organizations or value system is (a) social order (b) society (c) social process (d) social change.
- Population as a factor of social change can be defined as (a) total number of people living in a place at a particular time (b) average number of people living in a place (c) the counting of people in a place (d) none of the above.
- One of these is a factor of social change (a) family factor (b) teachers factor (c) technological factors (d) marriage factor. https://passnownow.com/classwork-support/