Whether you find the subject matter or the teacher dull, staying awake during a boring class can be a challenge for even the best student. It is important that students stay awake during lectures so that the academic atmosphere of the class is not disturbed. Finding quiet, non-intrusive ways to stay awake during a tedious class can ensure that you are not disrupting the rest of the class or the teacher as the lesson proceeds.
1. Take notes from the start of class. Make notes of anything important the teacher says as well as any hints s/he gives to what may be on a future test. Keep writing notes until the class is over.
2. Get a good night’s sleep the night before the class. It is much harder to fall asleep when you are well rested. Consider going to bed 30 minutes earlier than usual so that you are fresh and alert for class.
3. Doodle and draw pictures of the subject the teacher is lecturing on. This activity will help you focus on what is being taught and will force you to listen so that you can draw relevant pictures. Feel free to draw pictures that are both serious and silly in nature.
4. Participate in the lesson. Ask for clarification on things that do not make sense and add your opinions and views to the class discussions. Doing this will help make class more interesting for you.
5. Ask to use the restroom. Getting up and making the walk to the toilets can help clear your head, which can make it easier for you to concentrate in class.
6. Eat before you go to class. It is easier to concentrate when you are not hungry. Not being hungry can also change your attitude towards the class and make it seem less boring than before.
7. Sit in the front of the class. Having your teacher so close to you will force you to stay awake for the entire class.