Teen electrocuted by iPhone in her sleep found burnt to death in bed

A teenager was electrocuted by her iPhone, which was plugged into a knock-off charger, according to a Chinese newspaper.

Wu Weyuan, an 18-year-old student from Korla, in the Chinese province of Xinjiang, was discovered by her sister, who noticed a burning smell when she came home from work.

She found Wu lying in bed, her skin black and charred with burns and a broken iPhone 4S next to her body. She was not breathing, and the screen on the iPhone had smashed, according to Asian Heart News.

Ms Wu’s Aunt told reporters her niece had moved to Korla to study, and lived with her sister who worked in the city.

An autopsy found Wu had electrocution marks on her neck, hands and left foot. Police concluded the cause of death was electrical “leakage” from the phone, causing electrocution.

Her sister said she bought the phone from a shop in her home town of Urumqi.

The shop are reportedly in contact with the family, and are “negotiating to resolve the matter”

Apple are expected to launch the iPhone 6 in mid-September, ahead of a release date on October 14th.

The next generation smartphone is expected to be available with 4.7 or 5.5inch screens, and an upgraded camera.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top