CIVIC SS2 WEEK 6
Topic: Relationship II: Inter-communal Relationship
Meaning of Inter-communal Relationship
Importance of Inter-communal Relationship
Skills needed for Resolving Inter-communal Conflicts
1. Meaning of Inter-communal Relationship
Inter-communal Relationship is a relationship which exists between two or more communities. One of the main objectives of any good government is to bring government close to the citizens and provide a forum where local people can defend and develop their interest thereby contributing to the peace and harmony development of the society and also among communities.
2. Importance of Inter-communal Relationship
The following can be cited as the importance of Inter-communal Relationships:
Promotion of Peace and Unity: A positive inter-communal relation will promote peaceful situations and environment coupled with the abilities of uniting the people of both partner communities.
Enhancement of Security: It is the duty of inter-communal relationship to enhance and ensure stable and standby security consciousness and stability in their communities. This will help to remove the fear of violence, war of any kind between the communities involved.
Promotion of Political Development: This is to ensure that concerned communities participate in issues related to political enhancement in their various communities.
Promotion of Inter-communal/tribal marriages: Allowing citizens of different communities to inter-marry can only be achieved when there is a good inter-communal relationship.
Promotion of Government Programmes and Policies: A responsible inter-communal relationship will help government programmes to succeed due to the interference of most prominent executive and judicial personnel in the communities interchanging plans and ideas for executing of programmes and policies.
Promoting Economic Progress: Through the exchange of business or agricultural strategies between communities, economic progress can be promoted.
3. Skills need for Resolving Inter-communal Conflicts
The Law Court: Conflicts can be resolved through the law court by using legal method, any community that feels cheated can present her case.
Community Leaders: Resolution of conflicts can be done by leaders of various communities e.g. Obas, Emirs, Obis and Chiefs.
Dialogue: The opposing communities can meet to map out and talk about how to resolve their differences or disputes.
Mediation: Government can set up special panel to mediate between communities in conflict.
Peace Keeping Force: Special Peace keeping force like army, airforce, navy, mobile police e.t.c can be specially set up by government to restore peaceful situation in a community.
- Resolution of conflicts in law court is by the use of …….. method. a) Law b) Legal c) Lethal d) Court
- One of the given options is not a community leader. a) Obi b) Caliphate c) Emir d) King
- Dispute resolution can be done through one of the following. a) Hot dialogue b) Meditation c) Mediation d) Fighting it out
- Inter-tribal marriage is a/an ………. of inter-communal relationship. a) importance b) resolution c) promotion d) example
- A good inter-communal relationship promotes ………..a) War b) Peace c) Prowess d) Force