Civic Education, Jss 1, Week 8
Topic – Traffic Regulations
- Meaning of Traffic Regulations
- Traffic rules
- Causes of road accident
- Consequences of disobeying traffic rules
- Agencies to consult when accident occurs
Meaning of Traffic Regulations
Traffic regulations are rules that are made to control the movement of vehicles and human beings on the roads in order to avoid accident.
These are mostly displaced on the roads as signs which give appropriate directives to road users and serve as safety measures.
- Obedience to traffic light.
- Red means stop
- Yellow means Ready to go/stop
- Green means go
- Cars/vehicles are not expected to pass through the pedestrian road.
- Cars/vehicles are expected to stop for pedestrians to pass when on zebra crossing.
- Do not drink while driving.
- Do not make or receive calls while driving.
- Use seat belt while driving.
- Do not overtake vehicles on the right side of the road.
Causes of Road Accidents
- Reckless driving.
- Traffic hold-up.
- Poor state of the road.
- Head-on collision.
- Disobedience to traffic rules and regulations.
- Lack of good motor spare parts.
Consequences of Disobeying Traffic Rules
- Loss of life.
- Injury to the people involved.
- Loss of some parts of the body.
- Traffic hold-up.
- Damage to the vehicle.
Agencies to Consult when Accident Occurs
- Federal Road Safety Commission (FRSC): This body has assisted in encouraging good driving habits and helped to rescue and limit the impact of road traffic accidents. The body has equally assisted in publishing important government community initiatives to help reduce traffic accidents and make our roads safer.
- Red Cross Society: This is a non-governmental organization established with the prime purpose of providing first aid treatment to accident victims and emergency situations. Some of the materials used are cotton wool, iodine, paracetamol, scissors, etc.
- Fire Brigade: This is a government agency devoted to helping people during fire accidents either at home, road or workplace.
- The Police: This is part of the judicial arm of government with the sole responsibility of disciplining the people who do not conform to the stipulated rules and regulations of the society.
- Ambulance/Hospital Accident and Emergency Unit: This is a unit of hospitals where victims of road accidents are taken care of with urgency.
Test and Exercise
- The rules that are made to control the movement of vehicles and human beings on the roads in order to avoid accident is (a) car instructions (b) traffic differences (c) traffic regulations (d) traffic advices
- One of the consequences of disobedient to traffic rules and regulation is (a) increment in numbers of cars (b) good road network (c) safes lives and properties (d) traffic hold-up
- The following agencies to consult when accident happens are the following except (a) red cross society (b) teachers (c) the police (d) the FRSC
- The following can cause road accident except (a) poor state of the road (b) reckless driving (c) obeying traffic rules and regulation (d) disobeying traffic rules and regulation
- The red sign of the traffic light means (a) Go (b) STOP (c) READY (d) All of the above https://passnownow.com/classwork-support/