Indonesia is officially called the Republic of Indonesia. Indonesia is an archipelago in Southeast Asia consisting of about 17,000 islands, between the Indian and Pacific Oceans in Southeast Asia. The largest islands are Sumatra, Java, Kalimantan (Indonesian Borneo), Sulawesi, and the Indonesian part of New Guinea (known as Papua or Irian Jaya).
Fast facts about Indonesia
1. Indonesia is the fourth most heavily populated country in the world after China, India and the United States. Indonesia is the most populous Muslim country in the world.
2. Jakarta is the capital of Indonesia, as well as the nation’s most populous city, and the world’s most populous island. Jakarta is located on the island called Java.
3. Indonesia is home to thousands of different flora and fauna, making it the country with the second highest level of biodiversity in the world (Brazil is #1).
4. Indonesia, part of the “ring of fire,” has the largest number of active volcanoes in the world. There are over 150 volcanoes in Indonesia and 127 of them are active. Earthquakes are frequent.
5. Of its 17,508 islands, only around 6,000 are inhabited by people.
6. Although, Indonesia is the biggest Islamic nation in the world, with Muslims forming about 90% of the population. There is no official state religion – freedom of thought being guaranteed by the Constitution.
7. Bahasa Indonesian is the official and most commonly spoken language in Indonesia, and is a modified version of Malay. Hundreds of local dialects are spoken, the most common of which is Javanese. Indonesia’s national motto is ‘Unity in Diversity’.
8. 20% of liquid natural gas in the world is produced in Indonesia and [Indonesia] is the largest supplier worldwide.
9. Indonesia has the world’s largest flower called the Rafflesia Arnoldi, which has a diameter of up to 1 meter during the blossom phase. Indonesia has more Facebook users (Over 40 million) than any country on earth except for the United States. Some animals – like the Komodo dragon – are endemic only to Indonesia. In fact, Indonesia is the only place in the world to see a Komodo dragon in the wild.
10. Badminton is the national sports in Indonesia.