A promise ring can mean many different things, and before giving this tangible symbol of a commitment, individuals should be certain their promise will be easily understood not only by the person wearing the ring, but by others who may misconstrue the intent of the promise.
What are Promise Rings?
Promise rings are small, beautiful pieces of jewelry that are often given between friends or couples to represent a commitment. The most common reason why promise rings are exchanged instead of a true engagement ring is because the couple may not be the right age to get engaged, or they may have financial or other difficulties to overcome before they choose to become fully engaged and set a wedding date.
There are many other meanings that can be attributed to promise rings, and can be exchanged between many types of people: between parents and children, best friends, or between an already married couple.
Various Meaning Attached To Promise Rings
Depending on the type of promise ring and how it is given, it can mean many things. The most popular reasons include:
- Friendship: Best friends may exchange complementary or identical rings to symbolise their enduring relationship, particularly if they are moving away from one another and will not be together frequently. The ring can serve as a reminder of their friendship and their commitment to keep in touch.
- Purity: A promise ring may be used as a tangible symbol of purity, either from a pledge to remain sexually abstinent until marriage or a promise to remain pure from influences, such as drinking, smoking, or drugs.
- Monogamy: A promise of fidelity may be represented by a beautiful ring, whether it is exchanged between a married couple who may have experienced an adulterous intrusion into their relationship.
Promise rings can also symbolise any number of other promises and commitments, such as:
- Breaking a bad habit
- Keeping a secret
- Renewing a commitment to a task or lifestyle change
- Promising to care for a new child or new family
In fact, there is no promise that cannot be represented by a carefully chosen, thoughtfully given ring. As long as both the giver and the recipient are fully aware of what the ring represents.
How a promise ring is designed can add even more layers to its meaning.For example:
- Birthstones can be used to connect two individuals in the ring’s design
- Heart-shaped stones may be used to represent love, friendship, or romance.
- Even plain promise rings or bands can be engraved to add more emphasis to the promise: such things like the date of the promise, a few words of encouragement, or an intimate sentiment that can make any promise ring even more meaningful.
See Also: What a Ring on Each of Your Finger REALLY Means