What is LOVE? An interesting question that is asked by thousands of young people everyday.
At one point or the other, some of us have asked this question; What is Love? This is the simplest question yet the most difficult to answer. We think of this question whenever we are going through some hard times in our relationships, we often wonder whether what we are experiencing is true love. When we are truly engaged in giving and receiving love, we don’t ponder such philosophical questions. It’s only when something is lacking that we begin to analyze and contemplate what that thing actually is. Whenever we ask the question ‘what is love?’, this means two things
- We are not sure if that special person really loves us as a result of their behaviour or because something happened, hence we begin to doubt.
- That special person just accused you of not loving them enough
So when you ask this question, it’s either you don’t feel loved or someone doesn’t feel completely loved by us. Here comes the answer to your question WHAT IS LOVE?
The first thing we should know is that LOVE is abstract and can’t be touched, It can only be felt or experienced. Love is expressed as an action and experienced as a feeling.
1. Love is an intangible connection between two people that feels exceptionally good. It is a strong feeling of attraction towards someone.
2. Love is inherently free. It cannot be bought or sold and neither is it marketable. You cannot make someone love you, nor can you prevent it. Love cannot be imprisoned nor can it be legislated. Love is not a substance. Love has no territory, no borders, and it is as free as a bird.
3. Love is unconditional and comes without strings attached. Love cannot be controlled. Love is a giver and it can give everything or anything.
4. Love is an action. Giving yourself totally to another person selflessly or completely.
5. Love is not an emotion. Love is a connection. Your feelings are a reaction to the quality of that connection with another person.
Related Article: What Love is Not
6. Love is an untamed force. When we try to control it, it destroys us. When we try to imprison it, it enslaves us. When we try to understand it, it leaves us feeling lost and confused.
7. Love is a commitment. Its not just saying the words ‘I love you’ and bandying around the L word each time you have a free moment, but committing emotionally, physically, and spiritually to the other person.
8. Love does not begin and end the way we seem to think it does. Love is a battle, love is a war; love is a growing up.
9. Love is a passionate commitment. Without the commitment, it is mere infatuation. Without the passion, it is mere dedication. Without nurturing, even the best can wither and die.
Read Also: How Do I Know If I’m In Love
10. Love is complete acceptance. When we allow someone to be exactly as they are, without any belief that they aren’t good enough or that they would be “better” if they were different, this is love.
11. Love is not a mutual benefit scheme. Its not something you do with the aim of gaining or receiving from another person.
12. Love means knowing that no matter what, you have someone to count on. It’s unconditional and makes you feel good on the inside.
For you to know what love is, it is also good to know WHAT LOVE IS NOT.
- When we look for someone to love us, we are looking for someone we can use to make us happy
- If we are trying to change or improve our partner, in that moment, we are not loving them
- Positive thoughts is not love
- Love is not an emotion
- Excitement about our future with someone creates butterflies and nice feelings, but it isn’t based on love.
- Love is not a mutual benefit scheme
- If we require our partner to do things for us, in that moment, it’s not love
- Loving how someone seems to make us feel isn’t love
- The fear of getting hurt isn’t part of love
- Love is not Sex, sexual attraction or desire towards another person.
You can transmute love, ignore it, muddle it, but you can never pull it out of you. I know by experience that the poets are right when they say: Love Is Eternal.
If you want us to answer any of your relationship questions, please send a mail to email@example.com