Austria is a German-speaking country in Central Europe, characterized by its mountain villages, baroque city architecture, Imperial history and rugged alpine terrain.
Fast Facts about Austria
1. Austria is a German-speaking country in Central Europe, characterized by its mountain villages, baroque city architecture, Imperial history and rugged alpine terrain.
2. Austria’s capital city is Vienna.
Related Article: Nigeria – Facts about Nigeria
3. German is the official language of Austria and is spoken by over 88% of the population. Other local languages include Hungarian, Croatian, Serbian, Bosnian, Turkish and Polish.
4. The Austrian flag is one of the oldest national flags in the world
5. Austria has a population of over 8 million people (8,221,646) as of July 2013.
6. The sewing machine was invented by Josef Madersperger, an Austrian
7. Austria is a federal republic state with a parliamentary democracy, consisting of 9 independent federal regions.
Also Read: Interesting Country Facts (Kenya)
8. Austria is bordered by 8 countries, Germany and the Czech Republic to the north, Switzerland and Liechtenstein to the west, Slovenia and Italy to the south, and Hungary and Slovakia to the east.
9. As of 2013, Austria has 20 Nobel Prize laureates including seven in Physiology or Medicine, five in Chemistry, three in Physics and Economist.
10. Football (soccer) is the most popular team sport in Austria.