Civic Education, JSS1, Week 2
Topic: Promoting National Unity – The National Anthem and Pledge
- The National Anthem
- The National Pledge
The National Anthem: This is a song of unity and readiness to serve the country which Nigerians have accepted to sing. It is a promise of loyalty to the country. Before October 1st 1960, the British national anthem was usually sung at official ceremonies. The current national anthem of Nigeria; “Arise, O Compatriots” was adopted in 1978 to replace the previous anthem, Nigeria, We Hail Thee. The lyrics were put to music by the Nigerian Police Band under the directorship of Benedict Odiase. Below are the lyrics of the current national anthem:
Arise, O compatriots,
Nigeria’s call obey
To serve our Fatherland
With love and strength and faith.
The labor of our heroes past
Shall never be in vain,
To serve with heart and might
One nation bound in freedom, peace and unity.
O God of all creation
Direct our noble cause
Guide our leaders right
Help our youth the truth to know
In love and honesty to grow
And live in just and true
Great lofty heights attain
To build a nation where peace
And justice shall reign.
National Pledge: This is a solemn promise by Nigerians that they would be loyal and obedient to the nation and promote its good image. Below are the words of the Nigerian national pledge:
I pledge to Nigeria my country
To be faithful, loyal and honest
To serve Nigeria with all my strength
To defend her unity and uphold her honor and glory
So help me God.
Test and Exercise
- The song of unity and readiness to serve the country which Nigerians have accepted to sing is called (a) national pledge (b) state anthem (c) national anthem (d) none of the above
- The national anthem was adopted in the year——— (a) 1960 (b) 1950 (c) 1978 (d) 2014
- The lyrics were put to music by the Nigerian Police Band under the directorship of (a)Benedict Odiase (b) Goodluck Jonathan (c) Muritala Muhammed (d) Olusegun Obasanjo
- The solemn promise by Nigerians that they would be loyal and obedient to the nation and promote its good image is (a) national anthem (b) national pledge (c) national unity (d) national consciousness
- The national anthem and the pledge can actually help to promote unity in the country. True/ false https://passnownow.com/classwork-support/
Comment…this is great.