Government SS1 Second Term
Topic: PRESSURE GROUP AND MODE OF OPERATION
This is an organization of like minds coming together in a formal way with a view of protecting or advancing some particular interest. A pressure group is an organized group that seeks to influence government (public) policy or protect or advance a particular cause or interest. Groups may promote a specific issue and raise it up the political agenda or they may have more general political and ideological objectives in mind when they campaign.
TYPES OF PRESSURE GROUP
- Gender Pressure Group: This pressure group is set up solely to defend gender interest.
- Economic Professional Pressure Group: This is pressure group set-up to converse for economic issues
- Ethnic or Cultural Pressure Group: This is formed along ethnic interest e.g. Odua people congress (OPC), Arewa people’s congress (APC)
- Religious Pressure Group: Such groups influences government policies over religious issues e.g. Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN), Muslim students society (MSS)
- Anomic Pressure Group: This is an unorganized group or action group working against the decisions of the government
- Social Pressure Group: Are generally out to promote the interest of their members e.g. boy’s scout, girls guide. E.t.c.
MODE OF OPERATION OF PRESSURE GROUP
This is also known as techniques to achieve their objectives and they include the following:
- The use of a mass media like radio, TV, newspaper, press conference
- The use of dialogue between representatives of government and pressure group
- The use of ultimatum: This comes up after different avenues of dialogue has been exhausted without result
- Mounting of pressure on the executive arm of Government
- Working alliance with political party
- Demonstration/ Protest
EFFECTIVE OPERATIONS OF PRESSURE GROUP
- Existence of high degree of dedication and unity
- Supply of adequate funds
- Capacity of the leadership
- Relevance of its aims and objectives
For more class notes, visit: https://passnownow.com/classwork-support/