Home Economics JSS3
Topic: KITCHEN EQUIPMENT AND UTENSILS
Factors affecting the choice and use of cooking utensils and equipment
General care for Kitchen equipment and Utensils
KITCHEN EQUIPMENT AND UTENSILS
Kitchen tools are those materials used in day to day activities in the kitchen while equipments are those ones that are bigger in size than cooking tools. A good knowledge of equipments and utensils used in food preparation is necessary to assist us in choosing appropriate methods of cooking a particular type of food with a suitable equipment/ utensils. Much energy, time and labor can be saved if appropriate utensils are involved in food preparation. Those equipment and utensils which are powered by electricity or gas are kitchen appliances. A kitchen utensil is a hand-held, typically small tool that is designed for food-related functions.
FACTORS AFFECTING THE CHOICE AND USE OF COOKING UTENSILS AND EQUIPMENT
- Choose the right type of utensils or equipment for a specific job.
- The equipment should be suitable and convenient for the user
- It should be durable, efficient and should be able to save time, labor and money
- It should be simple to use and clean
- If it has a lid, it should fit closely
- The sauce pans and pots should have heat resistant and insulating handles.
- The size of the family should be considered as well as the money available for the purchase of such utensils
- The materials from which the utensils are made should not rust easily.
The cooking utensils and equipment can be classified into:
Large equipment: e.g Gas and electric cookers, Steamers, fish fryers, Sinks, table e.t.c
Mechanical equipment: e.g. Mixers, refrigerator, dish washers, blenders e.t.c
Utensils and small equipment: e.g. pots, pans, whisks, bowls, spoons, knife, forks e.t.c.
GENERAL CARE FOR KITCHEN EQUIPMENTS AND UTENSILS
- Each piece of kitchen equipment and the utensils has to be used correctly to obtain the best results
- Follow the manufacturer’s manual for the use and care of each equipment
- Preserve the manual as longs as the equipment in use
- Repair appliances and utensils promptly
- Store kitchen equipments and utensils properly
Examples of Some Kitchen Utensils and Equipment
Rolling pin: A tool
Strainer or Sieve: A wired mesh container that is used to strain liquids away from solid ingredients or to separate and aerate dry ingredients like flour and powdered sugar, cassava flour (garri) e.t.c. There are two types, one made of metal and the other plastic.
Grater: A cutting tool used to shred or grate foods like potatoes, cabbage, carrot, cheese or if the surface is fine, to zest lemons or ginger.
Blender: Used to cut food and ice into very small pieces and to make soft foods (such as fruits) into a liquid.
For more class notes, visit: https://passnownow.com/classwork-support/