Topic: SURFACES IN THE HOME
Surfaces in the home refers to walls, floors, ceilings, window surfaces and table. All those require care and maintenance. There are certain materials used to make surfaces in the home. The materials include mud, glass, wood, and concrete. It is important to know how to care for them. The floors in many homes are finished using various materials which improve the appearance of the home and make the floor easier to clean.
IMPORTANCE OF FLOOR COVERINGS
- Floor coverings cover cheaply finished floors
- Improve the appearance of a room
- Make the floor easier to clean.
There are different types of floors, these are:
Mud floor is a traditional type of floor that is still in use in many parts of Nigeria.
ADVANTAGES OF MUD FLOOR
- It is cheap
- It is cool and suitable for hot weather
- Mud is readily available everywhere
DISADVANTAGES OF MUD FLOOR
- It is not durable
- It is not suitable for riverine areas
- It is not suitable for certain areas in the home, especially in the bathroom
Other types of floor include vinyl floors, concrete floor, wooden floor, marble floor, terrazzo floor e.t.c.
Concrete floor: This is made of a mixture of cement, sand, gravel and water. Terrazzo floor is made from marble chips set in colored cement. Marble floor has a smoother and more expensive appearance than terrazzo.
Vinyl tile floor: Plastic tiles fixed to the floor with suitable adhesive
These are special materials used for covering the floor. Examples of floor coverings are mats, linoleum, rugs and carpets
ADVANTAGES OF FLOOR COVERINGS
- It is relatively cheap
- They can be made in attractive pattern
- Rugs and carpets protect the floor
DISADVANTAGES OF FLOOR COVERINGS
- Some are not durable
- They can be dented and scratched
For more class notes, visit: https://passnownow.com/classwork-support/
Leave A Comment