This is an organization of like minds coming together in a formal way with a view of protecting or advancing some particular interest. A pressure group is an organized group that seeks to influence government (public) policy or protect or advance a particular cause or interest. Groups may promote a specific issue and raise it up the political agenda or they may have more general political and ideological objectives in mind when they campaign.
TYPES OF PRESSURE GROUP
- Gender Pressure Group: This pressure group is set up solely to defend gender interest.
- Economic Professional Pressure Group: This is pressure group set-up to converse for economic issues
- Ethnic or Cultural Pressure Group: This is formed along ethnic interest e.g. Odua people congress (OPC), Arewa people’s congress (APC)
- Religious Pressure Group: Such groups influences government policies over religious issues e.g. Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN), Muslim students society (MSS)
- Anomic Pressure Group: This is an unorganized group or action group working against the decisions of the government
- Social Pressure Group: Are generally out to promote the interest of their members e.g. boy’s scout, girls guide. E.t.c.
FACTORS THAT CAN AID EFFECTIVE OPERATIONS OF PRESSURE GROUP
- Existence of high degree of dedication and unity
- Supply of adequate funds
- Capacity of the leadership
- Relevance of its aims and objectives
Read more below-